Sunday, January 11, 2009

My Match.com Experience

So in honor of a new year and a freshly-broken heart, I've decided to go on Match.com and, obviously, to blog about my experiences. I've always been a little wary of online dating sites/speed dating/that kind of thing, but since I haven't felt compelled to write about anything in the past 6 months I figured I'd give it a shot. I'm not knocking the online dating scene, I've just never had a problem meeting people due to my naturally bubbly nature. However, meeting people and actually making an effort to date are two different things. After having my heart broken I realized I have absolutely ZERO clue what I'm doing in the dating world. It's a world of game-playing that I'm definitely not used to (and I don't like any game that I don't win, thank you). I don't understand the concept of actually thinking before speaking. I figure this will be good practice. I'm going to write about EVERY SINGLE date I go on. Hilarity will certainly ensue.
I signed up for a 3-month subscription to the service on Friday and filled out my profile. The hardest part is filling out your profile. Believe it or not, I find it hard to talk about myself that way. Telling people what you're looking for in a mate is just strange. Especially when it's online for the world to see. Oh, and there's the fact that I have no clue what I want. That doesn't help. After several revisions, I still wasn't sure if my online suitors would know exactly how awesome I am. But for fear of going blind from staring at the computer for too long, I logged off and went away for the weekend.
Upon my return today I was rather pleased to see I had 4 emails and 10 virtual winks. Not a single one was cute, but it was still nice for the ego. I'm not alarmed at all because I have several friends who have met their boyfriends or husbands on Match, and they already warned me that you have to weed through the frogs to find the princes.
HERE GOES NOTHING!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

to making it count... here here

laurap said...

I want you to draw me like one of your French girls...

AllyKat said...

Best of luck with your future dates. I am looking forward to hearing all about them! :)