Friday, December 18, 2009

Jersey Shore: America's sweethearts?

Reality TV is an amazing thing. It can make someone that NOBODY would care about otherwise into headline news. If it wasn't for reality tv Tila Tequila would just be a slut. Now she's a famous slut that probably gets hooked up with free clothes and gets to go to cool parties. Granted, she only gets invited so that people can make fun of her, but the point is that she is on the guestlist. Otherwise she'd be spending her Friday evenings under whatever rock she crawled out from under.
You can find love on reality tv. Just look at that couple... what are their names again? You know. The chick that got kicked off the bachelor because she's not really that attractive. The one with the big nose. And then she got her own show and found the love of her life.
If you feel like living in a house with a bunch of strangers so you can get drunk, get in fights, and stick your fingers in someone else's can of peanut butter, then the real world is just what you need!
But I find MTV's Jersey Shore amazing for so many reasons. Regardless of the fact that I actually can't stand a single one of those nitwits, I'm strangely drawn to the television every Thursday night. I find myself using their corny catch-phrases AT MY JOB. And yeah, I was upset when Snookie got punched! I wanted to tell myself that it's a stupid show and not to care. But I find the little poof-wearing freak strangely endearing. WHAT HAS THE WORLD COME TO? Blogs went up about the punch. Facebook groups were started. Petitions were written to get Brad Ferro fired from his job as a public school teacher. Such unity, such passion, such intensity came about because.... because of some guidos fist-pumping at the Jersey Shore? It's astounding. I don't remember such fervor about any episode of For the Love of Ray-J.
Let's face the facts. The cast of the Jersey Shore has quickly become (in a sick, twisted way) America's sweethearts. I'm not saying we're going to remember them once the next reality tv phenomenon comes out. But for now Snookie and The Situation are household names. People are going to hope that they find love. Maybe Sam (who I still think is a wretched bitch) and Ronnie will get married and have little guidos. Maybe Pauly D will put out a CD of his mixes. Who knows what's in store for JWoww and her blonde streaks? One thing I do know is that if you have no real talents, and are kind of annoying, you can still go on tv and make a fool of yourself. You'll get paid for it, and sometimes people will actually end up liking you.

No comments: